18 October 2012

Witch Hosiery


Ipswich, Massachusetts is a town I know well having spent many a summer day at Crane Beach and eating fried clams at the famed Clam Box. So I was delighted to find these vintage 1920s ads for Ipswich Hosiery.


The town has been home to numerous industries throughout the years including lace and stocking making. In 1868 the Ipswich Hosiery Mills was founded and by the turn of the century was the largest stocking mill in the country.


The symbol for the company was a witch (it should be noted that the last witchcraft trial in America was held in Ipswich in 1878). At first the company's witch was portrayed as an old hag but by the 1920s had morphed into a pretty, modern witch.



It's certainly an interesting marketing plan, comparing women to witches. Not sure if it led to the company finally closing in 1929 but there's no denying the ads are awfully attractive. 

For more witch and other Halloween-themed ads check out the Vintage Halloween Treats! tumblr here.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE these! Where did you find them in Ipswich? My parents live there, and I would love for them to bring me these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, they don't exist anymore but I've seen a lot of their old ads sold on ebay.

      Delete
  2. For 6 years my husband and I owned a house a stone's throw from this factory, we now live about a half mile from there. I've heard of the legendary ads but have never seen them, thanks for posting them, SO cool! Ipswich rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lucky to live in such a lovely town; I have very fond memories of trips to Ipswich. And yes, these ads are very cool.

      Delete
  3. Anyone know who the illustrator is ....?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...