04 October 2012

Dim Sum Delight

Last night while some people were home watching the debate I was in Chinatown with a friend debating what to order at the fabulous Nom Wah Tea Parlor.




The oldest dim sum restaurant in New York, Nom Wah has been serving tea along with dim sum and buns since 1920. Although some things have been updated to keep up with modern changes, the restaurant still retains a vintage feel with its red booths, counter stools, and patterned floor.

This was my first visit and it took a while to go through the menu. We ended up choosing an assortment of dim sum, Chinese broccoli with oyster sauce, and steamed pork buns (which I grew up calling by their Hawaiian name, manapua). I am happy to report that everything was absolutely delicious. Fresh with lots of flavour, this was some of the best Chinese food I've had in a long time. I'm already looking forward to my next visit when I can try one of their famous over-sized almond cookies and a cup of tea (I was way too full this time round).


As a side note, Nom Wah is located on one of the more interesting streets in Chinatown. Doyers Street is one block long with a bend in the middle. At one point in its history it earned the nickname the "Bloody Angle" due to the large amount of murders committed by the Tong Gangs. Today the street is home to barber shops and restaurants yet at night it's easy to pretend that you've stepped back into the past. Or onto a movie set.

To find out more about Nom Wah, visit their site here

Photos by Michele.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...