29 March 2013

Spring Treat

"You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep spring from coming."—Pablo Neruda

Spring may have officially arrived last week but New York didn't seem to get the message. So imagine my joy a couple of days ago when on my way to the Jefferson Market Library I turned a corner and was hit with a wave of colour from the florist shop. Buckets of hydrangeas, tulips, hyacinths, were all waiting to greet me with their vivid blues and purples and reds and pinks. And as if on cue, the sun came out. What a lovely sight.

It put me in such a good mood that I decided to stop by the Bee's Knees Baking Co., located behind the library (confession: I would have gone in, good mood or not, because I wanted something sweet). I had never been before but as a fan of the 1920s how could I not love its name? I got a coffee and a cake cup to go. That's right, literary cake in a cup. I chose the chocolate salted caramel, which was chocolate cake with a layer of caramel topped off with pecans. Absolutely perfect. To see all of the flavours, visit here.

So welcome spring. Please stick around for a while and don't let your cousin summer come rushing in too soon. 

iPhone photos by Michele.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...