19 February 2014

Happy Birthday, Carson McCullers!

Happy Birthday, Carson McCullers! Born on February 19, 1917 in Columbus, Georgia, McCullers' tales of love and loneliness filled with an assortment of misfits and eccentric characters, including The Heart is the Lonely Hunter and Member of the Wedding, became some of the most memorable works of Southern Gothic literature. Although plagued with ill health for the majority of her life (the result of a bout of rheumatic fever when young), McCullers managed to write four novels, a novella, short stories, poems, and a play before dying at the age of 50.

When I was a teenager McCullers was one of my favourite writers; I even kept a photo of her on my desk in college for inspiration. Today's anniversary reminds me that it's time for me to revisit some of her work. I recommend that you do so as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...