10 March 2016

IT Girls, Flappers, Jazz Babies, and Vamps

Clara Bow in It (1927)

Tomorrow begins Film Forum's two-week series "IT Girls, Flappers, Jazz Babies, and Vamps" or as I call it, my big birthday present. Yes, there will be 31 films shown featuring  some of the loveliest and greatest of the silver screen starting with Kay Francis and Miriam Hopkins in Ernst Lubitsch's witty Trouble in Paradise (1932) and ending with Clara Bow in Dorothy Arzner's delightful Get Your Man (1927). In between there's Louise Brooks, Marlene Dietrich, Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Blondell, Greta Garbo, Jean Harlow, Joan Crawford, Anna May Wong, Colleen Moore, and more. I am trying to limit myself to only seeing films that I haven't seen on the big screen before but that rule might just get broken (I'll report back on which screenings I attend). So thank you Bruce Goldstein and Film Forum for scheduling this series during my birthday month. And if anyone is looking for me during the next few weeks, you'll know where to find me.

For more information about the series, visit Film Forum.

2 comments:

  1. "Call Her Savage" was a revelation. I bought Stenn's bio (he intro'ed the FF screening) and relished every page. Clara: charismatic personality, miserable life. But must say, the highlight of the "IT" series for me was "Employees' Entrance" with Warren William.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been very fond of Clara Bow. Stenn's bio went a long way in correcting false stories and reminding film fans about how gifted she was—something that one too many historians have tended to overlook. I missed "Employees' Entrance," which I really wanted to see, but did manage to catch quite a few of the others and came away with a new love of Lilyan Tashman.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...